Saturday, January 23, 2016

Gryphon

This time I'd like to take a look at something slightly different than Dragons. Let me look backwards to some of my older works that were created when I was at the start of developing my skills. 
Gryphon is one of my favorite fantasy creatures, especially these seen in "The Chronicles of Narnia". I sewed two gryphons.  


Here's the first of them, very small and tiny. It's about 20-30 cm in wingspan. I wanted to make the gryphon nice and quickly, and that's why you can spot white threads all over the place. 
I put a thin flexible wire into its body and wings, what connected with really little weight of the gryphon gives a really nice effect. What's interesting, it's one of the very few of my sewings that is not stuffed with anything. Gryphon's body was made from a rolled piece of yellow fabric. 
Personally, I really like the orange feathers that turned out really nicely. 



That's the next gryphon. This one is way bigger (about 40-50 cm in wingspan) and was stuffed inside. I made with thinking of a pattern of flying gryphon, not one standing on ground, that's where the legs' shape comes from. I was really content with the effect. 
Extra stripe used to make a belly allowed to get realistic body shape (not that flat, but actually broad). Wings were stuffed too, and I sewed single row through the wing to make it flat instead of round. Feather-shaped edges were really tuff to sew and fill, and now I would probably use foam to cut the feathers and sew them into the edge of wing.





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a specific question or requests, especially regarding custom-made toys, please contact me via available contact channels. I won't answer the comments.